Some electricians will say they are Part P registered, to enter your house

Carry out work and take your money. For work they are not doing correctly which is, a RIP-OFF. All electricians who carry out major work in houses, such as installing a consumer unit, new circuit and rewiring, should be Part P registered. They should be able to supply you with a certificate and register the work they have carried out with building control. If they are not then the work carried out cannot be backed with a certificate and is, therefore, void. A way to insure they are Part P registered is by asking to see their Part P registration certificate. We also recommend asking their local governing body if they are registered or if their registration has been revoked; in case the certificate is not genuine and/or they have lost their registration due to poor trading standards.

Have you got any TESTIMONIALS?

This is very important, as you are inviting someone to your house to carry out work for you. You probably do not know this person, so how can you be sure the job will be done right or completed? A way to know what the electrician is like, is to ask for a TESTIMONIAL, by asking for this it will benefit you in more than one way. You will be able to see what other customers think, how satisfied they were with the quality of the work, how customer service handled any problems if they occurred after the installation, what the after service are like and much more.

Do you give a GUARANTEE?

When parts go faulty they can cost you a lot to buy again. For example 1 dimmer 500w switch will cost around £60 and this is an extra cost you should not have to pay if a standard GUARANTEE is in place. You can ask either for a verbal GUARANTEE, if given or in most cases you should be given a guarantee slip or something in writing. There should be no problem for an electrician to give you this because most products come with a minimum 1 YEAR GUARANTEE.


If your installation goes faulty after a few years or is not to standard, who is liable? It is worth asking this question as a lot of electricians don’t come back and have no interest in coming back. So when your having a quote done ask if there is a WORKMANSHIP WARRANTY. If there is, this will eliminate risk, if anything should go faulty at a later date. It covers you from bringing another electrician to fix a fault, which should not exist.

Is it given to you in WRITING?

When the electrician tells you something is faulty is he giving you it in WRITING? It has become more common now for people to say things, which are not true. This could be due to the electrician not being educate, out of date or they are just simply lying to you, to get extra work and charge you for something which is not, needed. Ask for it in writing and confirm it with GOVERNING BODIES like the ELECSA, NIC EIC not only for your safety but to ensure you are not being RIPPED-OFF.


Just because it works does not mean its SAFE.

Gas you can smell when it leaks, water you can see when a pipe has burst and electrics well… with electric when you feel the shock, smell the burning or loss power.

When consumer units are upgraded, or rewiring has been done, it is essential to know what state your electrics are in before and after having work carried out. Many people do not see this as an important but it is VERY IMPORTANT. Each year around 12,500 house fires, 750 serious injuries and 10 deaths are caused every year by unsafe electrics at home.

By getting the right electrician in, extra costs and accidents can be avoided. Upgrades are not required if installations meet the minimum requirements made by British Standards. A safety report will be available so any faults in the installation can be identified and rectified.


NIC EIC registered electricians have already helped to improve the standard of electrical work in the UK. The electrical safety law; Building Regulations Act, Part P was introduced by the Government on 1st January 2005. The aim of this law was to increase homeowner protection and to reduce the risk of electric shock when using electricity. The law, which applies to England and Wales aims to improve electrical safety in the home and prevent the number of accidents occurring, which are caused by faulty electrical work. As a result, jobs are now monitored more and electricians who are monitored as part of the requirement will be carrying out a higher standard of work.

The law requires an electrician to be registered with a GOVERNMENT APPROVED SCHEME, such as the one operated by NIC EIC which covers most electrical work in the home. After completion of any work your NIC EIC registered electrician will issue you with an electrical safety certificate and a compliance certificate, confirming Building Regulations are met.

You can only carry out electrical work yourself if you can inspect and test that it is SAFE for use. To comply with the law you must notify your local building control office before you begin any work and pay the appropriate fee for them to inspect the work.

What happens if you don’t follow the REGULATIONS?

You won’t have a certificate to prove that a registered electrician carried out the work, or the work was approved by a local building control officer. It may be problematic when it comes to selling your home if you cannot produce evidence that electrical work has been carried out in accordance with building regulations. It is a criminal offense to carry out work that does not comply with building regulations, with a maximum fine of £5,000. Your local building control may insist that you re-do the electrical work or request you prove that the installation is 100% safe through other means which could cost more.

Article Source:

Comments |0|

Legend *) Required fields are marked
**) You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
In category: Electrician